Saturday, February 11, 2006

Kansas City, Kansas tour suspended: back to KCMO

I finally got my hands on a copy of This Far by Faith, the history of the diocese and various parishes of Kansas City-St. Joseph. I only have it for a short time, so for a few weeks I'm going to suspend my tour of parishes in Wyandotte County, in the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, and go back to fill in some of the detail on closed churches in Kansas City, Missouri. If I spy some interesting churches I overlooked the first and second times around, I'll get some new shots and do some new entries. Also, where I can, I'll add information on some of the more represensible vandalizing that's gone on in historic parishes in KCMO (starting, first, with the Cathedral).

Instead of doing new entries on these churches I've already posted, I'll add my updates to the original entry for each church, and I'll also try to consolidate the entries I did in two or three parts into one post. As I do so, I'll make a current post pointing new and returning readers to the updated original entry.

We will resume and finish our tour of KCKS, with the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. John the Baptist, at a later juncture.

The full information for my source is as follows:

Dorothy Brandt Marra, This Far by Faith: a Popular History of the Catholic People of West and Northwest Missouri, vol. 1. (Kansas City: Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, 1992) (art addendum by Collette Marie Doering CSJ, clergy addendum by Bill R. Beemont, 1000 copies printed, printing by Walsworth Publishing, Marceline, Missouri)

Charles M. Coleman, ed. This Far by Faith: a Popular History of the Catholic People of West and Northwest Missouri, vol. 2 (Kansas City: Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, 1992).

No comments: