Thursday, March 09, 2006

Resistance...

I hate it when things are not properly footnoted. Anybody know what the doctrinal sources are for this article of the new catechism?

2243 Armed resistance to oppression by political authority is not legitimate, unless all the following conditions are met: 1) there is certain, grave, and prolonged violation of fundamental rights; 2) all other means of redress have been exhausted; 3) such resistance will not provoke worse disorders; 4) there is well-founded hope of success; and 5) it is impossible reasonably to foresee any better solution.

I was thinking of doing some research and maybe an essay on this, but rather than stumble along, searching blindly for sources (if there are any) for this, I thought I'd start by asking someone to point me in the right direction.

No comments: