Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fr. Brian Klingele

A rule that I instituted on my very substantive first post on August 7, 2005 was that parish-level names are verbotten in the Cave. That very first post told the story of our attendance at the novus ordo Mass of a young priest who had--a week or two before--taken over as pastor of a rural parish in disarray (after the previous pastor had been derelict at his post and eventually left it, and the active priesthood in scandal). The new young priest was at the beginning of a long process of restoring a sense of the sacred and proper instruction in faith and morals at his rural parish, and reports from all quarters over the last year are that he's succeeding, step by step.

My little rule about names, however, is now moot with regards to that first post. The National Catholic Register has introduced him to the world, and he's in the public domain. The Register article isn't online at the moment, but my friend Orville at Kansas City Catholic, who subscribes to the print edition, has posted on the Register coverage to give you a feel for it, and for the young priest.

The priest is Fr. Brian Klingele. My original post is HERE, and Orville's report on the Register coverage is HERE. I'd encourage y'all to read both. Fr. Klingele is a diocesan priest--not quite a traddie like most of us--but he's perhaps even more valuable to the cause of restoration as an ally. If Fr. Klingele is formed in the new mold of young diocesan priests coming to both dioeceses of Kansas City, there IS clearly hope for Holy Mother Church in our lifetimes. Pray for him, but also pray that we get so many men like Fr. Klingele that he ceases to be newsworthy.

Krusty

PS, I'm told my observation, that his "homily was a little light" was not reflective of Fr. Klingele's usual preaching. The person that corrected me suggested perhaps that Father was "easing his parish in" on the week I attended (and I admit that I was comparing his homily to my own chaplain's sermons, which are much heavier than most). Fr. Klingele's homilies are anything but "light."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand on authority that only this week in the archdiocese of KCK Fr. Klingele was one of three priests—the main celebrant being a Patristics Religious Professor from a Pontifical University in Rome—concelebrating a Solemn High sung Latin Mass with everything chanted in Latin except the first reading and Responsorial Psalm—still read in Latin—with Fr. Klingele chanting the Gospel amid incense and bells. The Mass concluded with a chance for the faithful to venerate the relics of Sts. Augustine and Albert the Great.

By the way, he is a good friend of your chaplain.

Anonymous said...

Bravo for Fr. Klingele --- now only if he would do something 'bout that "Jethro Tull" music...

Curmudgeon said...

Concelebrated? Must be a novus ordo Mass. Not quite the same, but better than a clown mass or a polka Mass or somesuch by far. And I would guess that Fr. Klingele is soon to throw out the "dancing in the forest, playing in the fields" tripe if he hasn't already.

One thing I kind of hope they do is leave him put for a while. The folks in the rural parishes get more than their share of less-than-stellar clerics (which isn't necessarily to say that there aren't a lot of good ones), so they deserve a star now and then.

Father said...

It is possible, given the presence of three priests, that this was a Tridentine High Mass with the remaining two priests serving as deacon and subdeacon - at least that was my first reaction when I read the report - I didn't notice the use of the term "concelebrate" until Curmudgeon called my attention to it.

Curmudgeon said...

Father, my clues were that there was a "first reading and a responsorial psalm." No such thing in the old rite.

I'm no "liturgist," of course, but I would think that the responsorial would be in Latin in a sung novus ordo. The chanted gradual (which became the "responsorial psalm") is one of the neatest parts of the old Missa Cantata. Would seem wierd to jump from a chanted Epistle in Latin to happy-clappy, badly translated responsorial psalms in English, and then back to a chanted Gospel in Latin.

But then, I'm no liturgist. And I wasn't there. So maybe it worked, I can't say. Whatever it was, I'm sure Fr. Klingele did the best that he could at it.