Friday, September 16, 2005

St. Augustine joining the blog.

Well, I've been working on my blog title. I think I'm going to leave it as "Curmudgeon's Cave," even though it's kind of a mixed metaphor. At one time I was thinking of taking the pseudonym "Troglodyte," which which case calling the blog my "cave" was only natural. But I settled on Curmudgeon, and kept the "cave" simply because of the alliterative value (after all, nothing would prevent a Curmudgeon from having a cave, would it?). I've been struggling mostly with the tagline. Too much alliteration is silly (unless of course, you're writing Germanic poetry). I'm settling for now with St. Augustine of Hippo's quote,
Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.

It seems to serve two purposes. The "anger" bit as an apologia of sorts, so that I can remind myself (and others can remind themselves) that anger is related to hope. One can be both expectant and angry; on the other hand, it seems that dispair and anger are mutually exclusive. The "courage" bit is a self-challenge of sorts, as I hide behind my anonymous blog, wondering where I have actually put myself out in the line of fire for my faith and the secondary values I hold dear. Thinking about the follow-through . . . the courage . . . is a reminder that wherever I can do so without compromising my duty to my family, I need to be charge in.

And whomever wants to pick up my leftover pseudonym is welcome to it.

No comments: