Sunday, November 27, 2005

St. John Fisher

I just finished reading E.E. Reynolds' biography of St. John Cardinal Fisher, Bishop of Rochester. I've always loved St. John Fisher. In reading Reynolds' biography, though, I'm struck not only by the blessed martyr's faith and constancy, so much as I am by the perfidity, cowardice, and malice of the various reprehensible apostates that surrounded him.

It's a part of choleric personality that's hard to overcome, I know, but it's so difficult for me to pray that God had mercy on those men, because the case for His justice is so strong. And it's hard not to further harden my contempt for the modern day Anglican "hierarchy" If they insist on continuing to destroy their own sect and lead their adherents to hell, why dont they just get on with it, and quit lingering!!! Which is, of course, all the more reason to force myself to pray for them.

There's an interesting article in this number of Latin Mass on the choleric personality, the second in a four-part series on temperaments written by Fr. Christian Kappes of Indianapolis. Worth reading (and here I remind myself that my Latin Mass subscription is up for renewal . . . . .

No comments: