Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fasting.

For the first time, I'm really trying to fast during Lent, instead of just settling on a pathetic "giving something up." It's hard, taking up a discipline like that for the first time when you're in your late 30s. My collations are, well, rather more than the "crust of bread with coffee" that they should be. While I'm skipping the bag of chips or the cookie at lunch, when I order a sandwich, I can't seem to avoid eating the whole thing, rather than throwing part of it out.

When one is traveling, or visiting relatives, it's hard not to eat between meals. I've blown it several times already. Right now, my comment on the Old St. Patrick's post of February 18 is really ringing true:


While we're on the subject, if any of my readers has a couple dollars they don't know what to do with, they ought to send them to me so I can buy a big bag of Guy's Barbeque Potato Chips, a picked hot sausage, and a 16oz can of Coors. For some reason, that combination sounds really appealing right now.

Mmmmm.

Well, I guess if I'm feeling hungry much of the day, I'm accomplishing something--I'm getting some penance in and at least putting up a little fight for integrity. I'll try to do better, and I'll try not to whine so much, also.

No comments: