Saturday, January 21, 2012

Until I have time to answer...

Travelled this week, so I'm catching up with the family, catching up with the office, and cleaning up the Curmudgeon estate for a get-together we're hosting tonight tonight. So no time yet to boil down a concise answer to the comments from Simpleton and Kookybura. Until there is, I'll leave you with a little snippet from Robert Bolt in A Man for All Seasons which will serve as the epigraph of the response when it finally comes....


Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!



More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?


Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!


More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

No comments: